Online Alcohol Server Training

Choose Your State

Series - Most Common Oregon Liquor Licenses: Learn About the Limited On-Premises Sales (L) License

In order to legally offer alcohol sales and service in Oregon State it is a requirement to first apply for and receive an OLCC Liquor License.

In a previous blog post we discussed the features and requirements to obtain a Full On-Premises Sales (F) License for your establishment. In this post we will go over the features and eligibility requirements of the Limited On-Premises Sales (L) License.

What does the Limited On-Premises Sales (L) License allow?

Unlike the Full On-Premises Sales (F) License which allows the sale and service of all alcoholic beverages, the (L) license only allows the sale and service of beer, wine, and cider. The key word here is limited because establishments with an OLCC (L) Liquor License are limited in what they can sell or serve by not being permitted to sell or serve liquor.

What are the most common establishments that hold an (L) License?

  • Family restaurants
  • Cafes
  • Pizza parlors
  • Delicatessens
  • Taverns

Can an establishment with an (L) License sell alcohol to-go?

No, establishments with (L) licenses are generally not permitted to sell alcohol to go unless they also have an Off-Premises Sales License.

The three exceptions to this rule are:

  1. An establishment can send home a bottle of partially consumed wine with a customer so long as the customer consumed the wine along with their meal.
  2. An establishment can sell beer to-go in a growler (not exceeding 2 gallons) so long as the growler is provided by the customer.
  3. An establishment can sell beer to-go in factory-sealed kegs (which hold a minimum of 7 gallons of beer or more) to customers.

A couple additional things to note about the (L) License:

  1. This license does not require you to provide food to your customers.
  2. Employees who are under 21 (minors) may by employed by establishments that have an (L) License under certain circumstances.
  3. Under strict conditions, (L) Licenses can be used at a catered or temporary event away from the licensed premises so long as prior notice and permission is granted from the OLCC ahead of time. We recommend contacting the OLCC directly if you plan to organize a catered or temporary event at a location other than your establishment!

These are the basic features and requirements of the Limited On-Premises Sales (F) License. If you are in the process of opening up an establishment, we wish you the best luck and hope this blog post has been helpful!

Once you have everything set up and begin hiring bartenders and waitstaff, we welcome you to check out our OLCC Approved Online Alcohol Service Permit Training so your staff can become certified with top-shelf-worthy training and receive an OLCC Alcohol Service Permit!


Tags: Oregon, OLCC, Oregon Alcohol Service Permit

Louisiana Bar Card and Washington State MAST permit. Arizona Title 4 Basic Training Online AZ DLLC Alcohol Server Approved Certification Course California Responsible Beverage Service RBS TIPS Certificate Program On Off Premises ABC Florida Vendor State Compliant Montana Ohio Seller For Sellers Servers Bartenders and Managers Get your TABC Certification for selling serving alcohol in Texas Your official can be printed online upon completion Utah Mobile Friendly valid Bartender School on off premise server training permit classes by Len Riggs

© 2016 - 2021 America's Alcohol Certified Education Association All Rights Reserved | Email Us | TF: 888.865.1900 | P: 425.335.3672